Adding Wireless Workstations to Netgear Routers
A common security mechanism on wireless networks (WLANs) is to “whitelist” known workstations, or other devices, with the effect that all other devices are blocked.
Netgear wireless access points and ADSL routers provide this functionality. The procedure to add workstations to the Allowed list is:
- Determine the MAC address of the device you wish to add. See How to Determine Your MAC Address.
- Log in to the router's management interface. The default address is http://192.168.0.1, and the default user name is admin, and the default password is password.
- Click Wireless Settings in the left-hand pane.
- Click Setup Access List in the middle pane.
- Ensure that Turn Access Control On is ticked.
- Under Add New Station Manually, enter the machine name or description and the MAC address determined from step 1.
- Click Add.
- Click Apply.
- Close the web browser.
On newer devices running Netgear Genie:
- Click Advanced.
- Click Advanced Setup.
- Click Wireless Settings.
- Scroll to the end of the page and click Set Up Access List.