Case Study: Poor NBN Upload Speed
- HFC NBN Service 50/20Mbps, unlimited data plan.
- Fritz!Box 7272 with older gigabit Netgear switch.
- Some devices attached via ethernet cable.
- Some machines have very slow upload via OneDrive and Dropbox and endless synchronizing of folders in Outlook/Office 365.
- Inbound connections to Remote Desktop hosts sluggish and prone to drop/reconnect.
- SpeedTest.net showed download speeds of around 46Mbps, upload speeds of about 150Kbps.
- No outage notifications from ISP.
- Soft-rebooted router — no change.
- Power-cycled router, switch and HFC modem — no change.
- Tried SpeedTest app on iOS — tests normal (approx 48/18Mbps).
- Other devices on wifi test OK.
- Disconnected affected laptops from ethernet and connected via wifi — now OK.
- Replaced patch lead from switch to router — now OK.
- Put back original patch lead from switch to router — now OK.
- Devices with pending changes for Dropbox, OneDrive and Outlook/Office 365 were able to complete normally.
- A week or so later, problem returned. Reseated cables etc, no change.
- Replaced Netgear switch — now OK.
- Local networking issues can look like upstream Internet problems.