Documents, Programs Missing After “Fake Antivirus” Infection
After an infection by a fake anti-virus program, you may have the following symptoms:
- Programs missing from the Start Menu;
- Programs missing from the Quick Launch bar;
- Nothing appearing on the desktop;
- Documents, photos, other files missing.
This may occur if the malware has hidden files and disabled certain Windows features.
- Download the following file and save it to your Desktop (it should be possible to save a file to the Desktop):
- If using Windows XP/2003:
Click Start, Run, CMD and click OK.
If using Windows Vista/7/2008 or later:
Click Start , type CMD in the search box and press Ctrl-Shift-Enter to invoke a command prompt in elevated mode:
- Type the following commands at the prompt:
The script will then run.
The script sets some Windows settings back to the default in the registry, attempts to restore the Start Menu/Quick Launch items and unhides all the files on the hard disk.
This last step may take some time, and may generate error messages. These are not a problem.
- When the script finishes, log and log back in for the changes to the registry to take effect.
Copyright © 1996-2021 Cadzow TECH Pty. Ltd. All rights reserved.
Question/comment about this page? Please email email@example.com