SBS 2008 — Email & Internet Not Working After Power Failure
After resuming from a power failure, workstations on a Microsoft Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2008 network may experience the following problems:
- Microsoft Outlook shows “Folder last updated” rather than “All folders up to date”.
- Internet browsing does not work, cannot resolve websites;
- Inbound email does not arrive (if using the POP3 Downloader);
- Machines cannot be accessed via TeamViewer, but Remote Desktop access to the server is functioning; and
- VPN connections appear to work but are assigned APIPA (169.254.xxx.xxx) addresses and network resources are unavailable.
This may occur if the server booted before the network switch was powered-on. In this situation, some SBS services, assuming there is no network, do not start.
- Have all users log out from all workstations.
- On the server, open an elevated command prompt and enter:
net stop DNS /yes
net start DNS
net stop DHCPServer /yes
net start DHCPServer
net start "Microsoft Exchange Information Store"
net start "Windows SBS POP3 Connector"
net stop "Routing and Remote Access" /yes
net start "Routing and Remote Access"
- Users may now log in.
If normal operation does not resume, it may be best to reboot the server, or ideally, do a full shutdown and restart of all devices.
See also SBS 2008 Sticks on “Applying Computer Settings”.
Copyright © 1996-2021 Cadzow TECH Pty. Ltd. All rights reserved.
Question/comment about this page? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org